Exterior painting is a job that can feel a little intimidating for a lot of homeowners. Why? Well, if you tackle the project yourself, it’s a huge undertaking! Painting properly with longevity in mind requires a good deal of prep work, possible repairs, and the dedication needed to consistently and systematically finish the project.
You also can, of course, go the route of hiring a professional painter. This is certainly the ideal option, especially because it means you can keep your Saturdays free and clear.
Regardless of whether you paint your home yourself or with the help of a pro, there still is one critical decision left to make. And, it’s a big enough choice that it adds a lot to that intimidation factor we mentioned above. Can you guess it?
What Are Your Exterior Paint Color Options?
Well, they are practically limitless! But, the two main routes you can choose between are either: A) Stay with your current color scheme, or B) Step out into the world of new style.
The obvious benefit of painting with your existing colors is that you know what to expect and the process is sometimes a little bit easier and faster, depending on the condition of your siding.
But, for the purposes of this article, let’s say you decide to take the road less traveled. The question then quickly becomes, how do you pick a new color?
Picking a New Paint Color for Your Home
Here are a few questions that might help you wade through the options:
- Do you have any fixed colors? – These are the elements of your house that aren’t easily changed, such as stone, brick, roof color, etc. Choosing a color option that works well with these permanent aspects of your home can help to narrow the field.
- Does your home have a specific architectural style? – If your property is from a specific era or represents a certain style, the chances are good that there is a classic color scheme that would be true to its heritage. A professional painter can help you make that determination.
- Have you researched your options? – We live in a day and age when there are practically limitless opportunities to find stylistic inspiration. As a case in point, take a look at these examples of exterior colors.
- What does your neighborhood look like? – Being different is just fine, but standing out in stark contrast isn’t always appreciated.
- Have you sampled colors? – There is no rule against giving a color a test drive. Try painting a small, inconspicuous area of your home and see how it looks.
Are You Looking for a Professional Exterior Painter in Greenwich, CT?
If so, the team here at Gerety Building and Restoration would love to be of service. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have!