Why not let your upgrade pay you back someday?
On one hand, your house should be all about you. The textures, styles, colors, and materials you surround yourself with all are chosen simply because you enjoy them, and they work together to turn what was once a structure into a home. From bold wall colors to unique custom features, anything goes!
On the other hand, many homeowners like to keep an eye on the future by strategically picking home improvements and upgrades that will likely pay them back. If not a complete refund, they at least return most of the investment. In the real estate world, this is referred to as “ROI,” or return on investment.
In case you are looking for worthwhile project ideas for your property, we’ve put together a brief list of upgrades you will likely never regret.
Remodeling and Home Improvement Projects That Hold Their Value
- Bathrooms and kitchens – We’ve talked about this before, but it bears repeating! These spaces are hugely popular, and including modern, beautiful features and styling offers substantial ROI.
- Garage doors – For both practical and aesthetic reasons, garage doors hold their value very well.
- Adding another bedroom – Whether it’s a matter of remodeling a currently unused space or building an addition, being able to list your home with one more bedroom can increase property value. It also could be advertised as a potential home office.
- The important basics – As fantastic as a new kitchen or bath might be, exterior maintenance is still crucial. Fresh paint, new siding, or roof repairs/replacement all offer tremendous ROI.
- Going “green” – Investing in efficiency is always wise! New windows, for example, are a major selling point.
Three Remodeling Tips
- Make the remodel fit with your home – If you put all of your home improvement dollars into an absolutely fantastic kitchen but ignore needs elsewhere, the property becomes lopsided. Potential buyers may love the kitchen, but it might not be enough of a selling point to make the purchase worthwhile in the face of other issues.
- Do what you love! – Try not to make upgrades purely with the next homeowner in mind. Make your changes exciting and helpful for you as well, and in line with the needs and goals that you have.
- Stay current – Before you invest in your home with ROI in mind, be sure that what you’re paying for is what will be most valued. For example, jacuzzi tubs are great, but not quite as prized as walk-in showers. If you have limited square-footage, it might be most worthwhile to invest in the shower.
Are You Looking for a Greenwich Home Building and Remodeling Professional?
The team here at Gerety Building and Restoration would love to be of service! We have decades of experience to draw from, and can help you make the right choices to meet your goals.